Olyenska is a kindergarten teacher in Europe. Last year she began teaching her students about Earth DAy and sharing some great activities and resources. She shared them with us as well:
“Some activities we did were the following:
- Sort by different types of materials (fabric, cardboard, paper, plastic, metal, glass) in the corresponding bags or containers of the city/village. We have our own small bins in the classroom with labels on them. Observe 2D and 3D shapres.
- Craft using recyclable materials
- “Dinosaurs and all that Rubbish” by Michael Foreman
- Story and action rhyme “Let’s Go Green!” by Jean Evans (Scholastics Nursery Education magazine, UK, Jan 2009)
- Science and Citizenship PPP “The Terrible Tale of Polly the Plastic Bag” (you can type it in google)
- Song “Easy Habits” by Nancy Stewart (http://www.nancymusic.com/SOM/2008/easy-habits.htm)
- Poem “Rubbish, Rubbish, Everywhere” by Marie Thom
- Song “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – 3 R Song” by Jack Johnson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSM2riAEX4U)
These simple and fun activities are so great for young hearts and minds…Thank you so much for what you do – Olyenska!